Trailing Power Wagon

I wanted to convert my “Otto” and “H K Porter” to battery power, however I considered that the room within the bounds of these locos were too small to accommodate all the parts required, so rather that a “mix and match” with some components in the training wagon, and some in the loco the plan was to put all the components in the wagon with just a power lead to connect to the loco.  I decided that the LGB 2 pin plug socket was going to my universal fitting, though I almost failed as originally I considered banana plugs, which are already fitted to my version of the H K Porter, however I found that these were in fact 5 volt lighting connections.

If these locos are going to be run on metal tracks it is imperative that the power from the track to the loco is isolated, so at the same time this was carried out, the track power was run to the socket at the rear of the loco.

 
Photos 1 and 2 show the Otto and H K Ported sockets, fitted.
Otto Power Socker (Photo 1)
H K Porter Power Socket (Photo 2)

Having prepared the locos to take the external power I turned my attention to the trailing wagon itself, I wanted a covered wagon, not to large, but with a facility that would easily hide the charging socket and power switch.  This was my choice in Photo 3, an LGB twin axle with sliding door.

Donor LGB Wagon (Photo 3)

Below in Photos 4 and 5 is the inside and underneath of the donor wagon, the inside needed cleaning, and the bogies were removed from underneath.

Inside the Body of the Donor Wagon(Photo 4)
The Underneathe of the Donor Wagon (Photo 5)
Holes Drilled for the Speaker (Photo 6)

The chassis was removed, from the body, and the brake linkage removed from the chassis.  As can be seen from Photo 6 the centre section of the chassis was removed.  The chassis the placed over the body so that the correct area could be marked for the speaker outlet, a 50 mm diameter speaker was used.

As my electronics skills are poor and I like modular design, I used the same modular principle used on my Stainz battery conversion with a central veroboard for each component to plug into. JST-XH connections were used, 3 pin for the battery power and warning LED, 2 pin for the motor power and 2 pin for the speaker (Photo 7), with fly leads attached to the board for the sound card connections.

Board Conections (Photo 7)
Skeaker and Battery (Photo 8)

The next step is to fit the components, but first I needed to add baffles to the wagon, a low baffle on the left restrain the battery, and a full height baffle to the right provides a location for the combined switch and charging point, this small board also contains the LED 2 repeating LED.

With the speaker in place sound proof was cut to fit around the speaker.

A “lid” was made to fit over the speaker supported on small posts at each corner (ensuring the speaker wires protrude through).  The Rx was velcroed up-right on the full height baffle to the right, the veroboard and sound card velcroed to the “lid”.   All the connectors plugged in and the sound card connected, as seen in Photo 9.

All Components Fitted and Connected (Photo 9)
Assembled Wagon Power Switch and Charging Point (Photo 10)

With everything connected and fitted, the charging socket, switch, LED 2 remote, and sound card remote IR sensor are easily accessible behind the door.

As all the electronics are modular a quick strip down, rub down and paint, followed by decals and a final coat of varnish (Photo 11).  I have two of these now numbered 3 and 5, and as I use Selecta the use channels 3 and 5, easy to remember.  The sound card for number 3 is set to European, as this is pulled by the Otto, and the sound card for number 5 is set for USA as this is pulled by my H K Porter.

For both loco motives I have left the track power equipment connected, and isolate via a DPDT CO switch, which means I can use track power is required, however other than a trail run this has not been used!

 

Finished Wagon (Photo 11)

Three suppliers were used for the components:

  • Micron Radio Control
  • Hobby King
  • Impact Audio
    • JST-XH connectors and Veroboard via eBay

Main components used were

  • Deltang Rx65c receiver
  • Deltang Tx 22X transmitter
  • Turnigy 1500 mHa 25C 3S LiPo battery
  • Toggle switch/charge module (Micron own)
  • MyLocosound Steam sound card
  • Visaton FRWS 5 speaker